Today, “high efficiency” is a common term used to describe appliances and products, such as a high efficiency furnace, that are much more efficient than those of the past and help keep more money in your wallet. And this is absolutely true…in most cases. But, sometimes the high efficiency option might not be what’s best for you and your specific situation. How so?
I’m glad you asked because I’m going to explain it in this post!
What exactly is a High Efficiency Furnace?
In today’s standards, a high efficiency furnace is a furnace that has an AFUE rating of 90% or more. You are probably wondering what the AFUE rating actually means. Let me explain: AFUE stands for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. The AFUE rating simply refers to the amount of produced heat that is actually used to heat the targeted area(s). For example, let’s say you wanted a high efficiency gas furnace with an AFUE rating of 90%. This would mean that 90% of the heat that is produced during the heating process is used to heat your home or business. The other 10% is lost during the process.